Secure email providers are important in case you have sensitive and private information in your inbox.
Doing a business or freelancing was such a big issue because we had to consider multiple things before starting it, and privacy was one of the main concerns.
Today we are all well aware that Email Providers like Google and Yahoo are not fully end-to-end encrypted. However, they use ad policies to show more users desirable ads, which is sometimes frustrating.
There are multiple email service providers in the market these days who are ready to entertain you with significant privacy policies according to their native court laws. You can freely trust them with your data.
This data will explore Email Providers that give good services with minimum pricing plans.
The Top 11 Best Free Secure Email Providers
|Storage||500 MB||25MB-25GB||10GB||30GB to 100GB||5GB to 1TB||4GB||2GB to 25GB||1GB to 25GB||2GB||500MB to 50GB||500MB to 20GB|
|Price||5.66 $/mon||9.99$/mon||59.95 $/year||3$/mon||1.13$/mon||49 $/year||10.17 $/mon||0.66 $/mon||1.13 $/mon||2.83$/mon||0.17$/mon|
Here I have listed the best secure email providers. There is a detailed version of every service provider here, so you better fasten your seat belt, and let's dig in.
ProtonMail truly respects the privacy of every email user; that is why they have designed this email provider according to the strict Swiss privacy laws. ProtonMail is the only email provider which is safe from NSA attacks. Furthermore, they have all main servers based in Swiss.
ProtonMail uses PGP encryption standards to ensure all your emails and store attachments are fully encrypted. Moreover, ‘Self-destruction messages' is the best feature of ProtonMail that allows emails to delete from the recipient's inbox after a specific time.
ProtonMail is fully end-to-end encrypted, making it impossible for a third party to invade your privacy. However, the ProtonMail search feature only shows subject lines instead of the content in the inbox, which is a minor flaw.
You can use ProtonMail on any device as it offers many apps for Android and iOS. It has open-source, which makes Email safe. ProtonMail is easy to use, which makes it the best option.
- Storage: ProtonMail offers 500MB to 20GB storage, depending on your purchase plan.
- Platforms: ProtonMail shows Support for both iOS and Android platforms.
Apart from the free plan, ProtonMail is offering three more goals:
- Plus: It will cost around 5.66 USD for a month and 54.31USD for a year.
- Professional: It will cost 9.05 USD for a month and 84.85 for a year.
- Visionary: It will cost 33.94 USD for a month and 325.83 USD for a year.
- Free Version Available: Yes, ProtonMail offers a free version of 500MB storage supporting 150 messages per day.
- End-to-end encrypted.
- Self-destructing messages.
- No-log policy.
- Operates under Swiss jurisdiction
- Compatible with the import of contacts and emails.
- Long beta test cycles.
- It doesn't encrypt subject lines.
- Bit pricy.
- POP3 is not supported.
HushMail is for you looking for a simple email provider rather than a complicated one to support your privacy and confidentiality. HushMail simply loves Open source and uses OpenPGP standard policy to secure all your data by encrypting it.
Moreover, HushMail has SSL as well as TLS to secure all things at the same time. This email provider allows you to have up to 10 encrypted accounts depending on your data need and the plan you pick.
HushMail has its servers in Canada, so they make sure to protect your data according to strict Canadian privacy laws. However, there is no free version available. Yet, there is 14 days trial period for any account you like in which you do not need to give your credit card details.
HushMail has many features to offer and is best for those who are doing big business and a simple and easy option for newbies. Additionally, HushMail is offering 60 days money-back guarantee, which is incredible.
- Storage: Storage ranges from 25MB to 25GB if you are using HushMail.
- Platform: Hushmail shows Support for iOS and Android smartphones to ease your life.
Apart from 14 days trial period, there are three plans:
- Starter: It is available for one month for 9.99USD.
- Popular: It is available for one month for 19.99USD.
- Custom: It is available for one month for just 39.99USD.
- Free Version Available: Instead of 1 free account, HushMail is offering 14 days free trial period for any arrangement you like without linking it to your credit card.
- Support IMAP and POP.
- Easy to use.
- Optional 2FA is available.
- Spam filters and an autoresponder are available.
- CSV file imports Contacts.
- Less storage in the trial account.
- You are supposed to use different Email and phone numbers while registering.
- Expensive plans.
StartMail offers two-step verification to ensure that your Email remains safe if anyone has access to your password. However, StartMail is not end-to-end encrypted; that is why we are not so happy with it.
StartMail is consistent and helps you make fake disposable addresses. Its integrated burner emails mode keeps you from being hacked.
StarMail accepts payments in the form of Cryptocurrency besides account payment. It, too, offers IMAP/SMTP support. Furthermore, StartMail has no free version for its consumers; they offer a seven-day trial.
- Storage: StartMail provides 10GB of encrypted cloud storage.
- Platform: StartMail entertains web-only platforms.
You can avail StartMail at 59.95 USD for a whole year.
- Free version available: StartMail offers no free version, but you can enjoy a seven-day free trial with all the features.
- Compatible to create fake and disposable addresses.
- Supports IMAP/SMTP.
- It accepts Cryptocurrency.
- It supports PGP standards.
- 10 GB encrypted cloud storage.
- No support for iOS and Android.
- Not end-to-end encrypted.
- Not open source.
4. Zoho Mail
Zoho Mail is secure and provides affordable email solutions which are end-to-end encrypted, preferably an excellent choice for business. Zoho Mail is user-friendly. Moreover, it promotes data recovery so you can transfer your data quickly to your new email provider in no time.
The secure data center of Zoho Mail is such a remarkable feature that allows its users to reach their data through biometric authentication. Moreover, It has many apps available too. Just operate your Email through your smartphone anytime, anywhere with OTP, QR code (can be created using a QR code generator), or Touch ID Zoho Mail provides..
A spam blocker will keep away all the junk and spam emails, protecting your Email. All your data is fully secured, but the company and government protection agencies can access your information while following a proper procedure.
Zoho Mail supports shared inboxes. Furthermore, Zoho Mail supports a free version of 5GB for its consumers.
- Storage: Zoho Mail provides storage ranges from 30GB to 100GB depending upon the plan you are going to avail.
- Platform: It shows Support for both iOS and Android platforms.
Apart from three projects, Zoho Mail also supports 15 days trial period.
- Standard: It cost 3USD a month.
- Professional: It will cost you around 6USD for a month.
- Mail-only plan: There are three plans included in it.
- Mail lite: It will cost you around 1 USD for a month.
- Mail Premium: It will cost you over 4USD for a month.
- Workplace: It will cost you 3USD for a month.
- Free version available: Yes, Zoho Mail supports the free version, which eventually has 5GB storage.
- Show Support for POP/IMAP.
- Have a free version.
- Physically secure server.
- Spam blocker.
- Supports allow listing as well as blacklisting.
- Easy data recovery.
- Only aim at B2B clients.
- Few data centers in US and China.
- Only suitable for business.
Tutanota loves open sources as the team of experts is always ready to entertain you with great privacy features. This email provider is end-to-end encrypted so remain carefree doing your business. Furthermore, enjoy fully secure emails with the 2FA (Two-steps verification) feature of Tutanota.
Tutanota makes sure to fully encrypt all of your contacts, calendar, and messages on its servers based in Germany. Moreover, Tutanota supports asymmetrical and symmetrical encrypted messages options for Tutanota and non-Tutonota users, respectively.
This email provider shows Support for the no-log policy. However, it has been taken into account that Tutanota doesn't encourage PGP, IMAP, POP, or SMTP. Additionally, you will feel difficulty importing your existing emails into your encrypted Tutanota inbox.
Tutanota is the best option for excellent security and high transparency because it supports many devices, including iOS, Windows, Android, and Web.
- Storage: Tutanota offers storage ranges from 5GB to 1TB depending upon the plan you are going to avail. Typically you will get 1GB of storage in its free program.
- Platform: Tutanota shows Support for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android platforms.
Apart from free plans, Tutanota offers different private and business goals.
There are two private plans of Tutanota.
- Premium: It will cost you 1.13 USD for a month.
- Teams: It will cost you 4.52USD for a month.
- Premium: It will cost you around 2.26 USD for a month.
- Teams: It will cost you 5.65 USD for a month.
- Pro: It will cost you about 7.91 USD for a month.
Free version available:
Yes, a free version of Tutanota is available along with 1GB for users.
- Affordable plans.
- No-log policy.
- Spam filter available.
- It strips IP addresses from emails.
- Show Support for multiple devices.
- No support for PGP, IMAP, POP, or SMTP.
- Expensive paid storage.
- No crypto payments.
CounterMail is a strict security-focused email provider from a Sweden company. This email provider uses the open-PGP standard to support end-to-end encryption. Furthermore, they have robust servers in Sweden to keep all your data and mail safe and protected.
CounterMail encourages 2FA (two-step verification). You can use a USB key or TOTP (Time-based One-time Password algorithm) to access CounterMail on an application. Also, CounterMail comes with an exclusive diskless web server that makes the whole service super secure.
Enjoy the Anonymous Payment and Safebox feature of CounterMail, allowing secure in-built passwords. This email provider encourages no free version. Instead, it will enable its users to have seven days of free trials.
CounterMail has many features; however, it is sad to know that it is available for Web-only. Moreover, it is a bit expensive due to its robust servers.
- Storage: CounterMail offers 4GB storage. You can upgrade storage by paying a few bucks.
- Platform: CounterMail is applicable for web-only.
- 6 Months Plan: It will cost around 29 USD.
- 1-Year Plan: It will cost around 49 USD.
- 2 Years Plan: It will cost you around 79 USD.
- Free Version Available: No, the free version is not available; instead, CounterMail has seven days trial period for its users.
- USB authentication.
- Built-in password.
- OpenPGP encryption.
- Safebox storage.
- RAM-only server.
- Show Support for anonymous payment.
- No support for POP3.
- No free version is available.
- A bit expensive.
MailBox respects the privacy of every user from the very first interaction. However, it is not a mandatory option. This email provider asks you for your recovery contact number and your email address for your security.
MailBox uses PGP privacy standards to keep all your emails protected with SSL/TLS with Perfect Forward Secrecy. MailBox has similar features as Office365. A wide range of features includes Calendar, Tasks, portal, spreadsheet, Webchat, and much more.
Furthermore, security and encryption both go side by side in MailBox. However, MailBox offers no free version and encourages only-web platforms.
A mailbox with little dark stuff and many features still makes efforts to be user-friendly. The full-text search and spam filter message feature made it an incredible option if you are looking for an email provider for your business.
- Storage: MailBox encourages 2GB to 25GB of mail storage and 5GB to 50GB of cloud storage according to the plan you select.
- Platform: MailBox shows Support for web-only.
- Premium: It will cost you 10.17 USD for one user a month.
- Standard: It will cost one user 3.39 USD a month.
- Light: It will cost one user 1.13 USD a month.
- Free version available: No, MailBox offers no free performance to its users.
- Cloud-based storage is available.
- PGP encrypted.
- Encourages SSL/TLS with PFS.
- Similar features to Office365.
- Protection against insecure inboxes.
- Virus protection.
- Full-text search.
- Email metadata is not encrypted.
- No apps for other devices.
- It requires some tracking during registration.
First, there is no need to give your personal information while registering on Runbox. RunBox encourages PGP encryption for securing your data. Unfortunately, RunBox fails to provide end-to-end encryption for your data.
Furthermore, this email provider fails to provide a Calendar, a basic necessity for any email. Apart from some failed moves, RunBox surprises us with SMTP, POP, and IMAP protocols, which are appreciable.
There is no free version available for RunBox users. However, they allow you to have 30 days of trial. There are a lot of payment methods accepted at RunBox, including Cryptocurrency.
- Storage: RunBox gives its users 1GB to 25GB storage capacity depending on the plan.
- Platform: RunBox supports web-only platforms.
- Micro: It will cost about 0.66 USD for a month.
- Mini: It will cost around 1.25 USD a month.
- Medium: It will cost about 2.01 USD a month.
- Max: It will cost you about 2.91 USD a month.
- Free Version Available: There is no free version available at RunBox for its consumers. There is 30 days trial period for user satisfaction.
- RunBox servers run on renewable energy.
- It supports SMTP, POP, and IMAP protocols.
- Numerous payment methods.
- No ads.
- Intuitive UI.
- Nine-eyes country.
- No free version.
- No end-to-end encryption.
Posteo holds a good reputation in the market regarding its privacy policies for users. This email provider has its servers in Germany. Posteo shows support for TLS with Perfect Forward Secrecy, HTTP Strict Transport Security HSTS, SSH, and more. Hence, your data is in good hands.
Posteo loves having an open-source, so its users remain carefree if they use this email provider. Posteo takes the security of your mail very seriously as it allows no logs along with IP address stripping. Furthermore, daily backups are available, so you don't miss any updates.
There are some drawbacks of Posteo too. It doesn't support any apps. Moreover, it doesn't encourage a free version. This email provider also has no spam folders and no custom supports.
- Storage: Posteo offers 2GB of storage for its users.
- Platform: Posteo supports a web-only platform.
Pricing Plan: It has no free version available, and it will cost 1.13 USD for a month to avail of Posteo.
Free Version Available: No, there is no free version of Posteo available.
- Encrypted mailbox.
- PGP supported.
- Cheap plan.
- Good data migration services.
- Configurable spam filter
- No free version.
- No cryptocurrency payments.
- No spam folder.
Talking about the various features of Mailfence, it would be unfair if I skipped mentioning its 2FA ( Two steps verification). Your data is in good hands as Mailfence supports PGP to ensure your data encryption.
Without plugins and add-ons, Mailfence is a solid choice to make. Mailfence shows some kind of similarity with Office365 as it has many features like Calendar, Contacts, Messages, and Groups. Furthermore, you can sync your Email with other email clients.
Mailfence offers a free version and is also available on iOS and Android. Unfortunately, Mailfence fails to provide open-source features to its users. In other words, it supports apps for different devices.
- Storage: Storage ranges from 500MB to 50GB depending upon your need and the plan you choose for your Email.
- Platform: Mailfence shows Support for iOS and Android.
Apart from the free version, Malifence is offering three more plans:
- Entry: It will cost you around 2.83 USD a month.
- Pro: It will cost you about 8.49 USD a month.
- Ultra: It will cost you about 28.29 USD a month.
- Free version available: Yes, its free version is available, and Mailfence offers 500MB for free.
- Have digital signatures.
- End-to-end encrypted.
- Both mobile and web apps.
- Similarity with Office365.
- SMTP, POP, and IMAP support
- Crypto payment is available.
- No open source.
- Lacking in customer support.
- MINIMAL logging.
All your communication with others safely and privately flows with SSL, a feature not offered by every other email provider. Moreover, it allows users to send data with a 50 MB attachment limit. Furthermore, there is no annoying Ads policy.
Disroot believes in organizing data as it customizes the emails once they are received automatically. Digital signatures are part of this Email provider. You can access the Office suite to arrange all your documents with Disroot.
Additionally, Disroot encourages cross-device compatibility through IMAP/POP3. Disroot has spam and virus filters to eliminate any kind of hacking risk.
- Storage: Disroot allows 1 GB of mail storage and 500MBs to 20GB storage, depending on your plan.
- Platform: Disroot works great on multiple platforms like iOS, Android, Linux, and Windows.
Disroot offers a free version with 1GB of storage, but you can buy more storage up to 10GB at 0.17 USD per month if you are out of storage.
Free Version Available: Yes, a free version of Disroot is available.
- One free Alias is available.
- Upload multiple files.
- Email attachments up to 50MBs.
- SSL encrypted.
- No ads policy.
- Cloud storage is available.
- Volunteers maintain the project.
- Less storage is available.
- No compatible plans.
Secure Email Providers FAQs
There are many email providers which give excellent security with free accounts. They include:
All of the mentioned above email providers have free accounts and let their users try their services even before availing them. They all have strict privacy policies to entertain their users according to their native country's laws.
I am not entirely confident to say that Gmail is a secure email. There is a thing that Gmail uses standardized TLS (Transport Layer Security) encryption to protect the emails in transit. If you send emails showing TSL, your data is incomplete security.
However, suppose the receiver has a mailbox, and your Email goes right there. In that case, your content is no longer protected and will be visible to the provider.
Encryption by scrambling the data creates secure Email. All the secure Email works on encryption. So, only the one having the correct password or other authentication can decrypt the message you have sent.
Sometimes, users are unaware of encrypting and decrypting data. You can avail yourself of services for encrypting a message or encrypting a real connection with the help of TSL.
Time to wrap up this article here. I hope that now you know better which Email Provider will entertain you well according to your needs. Shifting to an encrypted email is a decision worth taking.
They do have wrong sides, but if those cons are not a show stopper for you, you can go for them to experience excellent privacy protection. If you still need to learn about something more, we recommend seeing the faq section for your answers.
We are looking forward to your incredible future.
As one of the co-founders of Codeless, I bring to the table expertise in developing WordPress and web applications, as well as a track record of effectively managing hosting and servers. My passion for acquiring knowledge and my enthusiasm for constructing and testing novel technologies drive me to constantly innovate and improve.
Linux System Administration,
15 years of experience in Web Development by developing and designing some of the most popular WordPress Themes like Specular, Tower, and Folie.
I have a degree in Engineering Physics and MSC in Material Science and Opto Electronics.